Council 14895 Newsletter for February 2023
Please mark your calendar with the activities below and Volunteer!
FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, let us all take the time to say a prayer for our fellow Knights and parishioners that are fighting illnesses and other medical challenges. Seek the intercession of Blessed Fr. Michael J. McGivney. We should also always remember to give Thanks for prayers that are answered! In particular this month, please pray for complete recovery for Nick Jose, Mike Hirsch, and Msgr. Schaedel.
- Annual Dues: Many thanks to all you that have paid your annual dues! If you have not yet paid, please make this a priority. If you did not get the bill, then please reach out to Financial Secretary Dave Fink at [email protected] or (317) 466-1220. Did you know that when you don’t pay your dues, you represent a financial burden to the Council? The Council must pay approximately $15 per member as a per capita fee to the State Council. That money should be offset by your dues rather than coming out of our operations and charitable budgets. Please pay your dues promptly, including any that are in arrears
- VOLUNTEERS STILL NEEDED for the upcoming Lenten Fish Frys this Friday, February 24th and Friday, March 3rd. As of this writing, we still need help this weekend with Kitchen Cleanup, Gym Breakdown, Food Serving Line, Parking, Beer/Wine Serving, and Carryout.
The link to signup is: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b094daca72aa6f85-stluke#/
If you aren't able to help with the fish fries by working at the event, please consider helping our fundraiser by bringing your family and friends to the events, and becoming a Beer Baron or Wine Lord at the events. See the attached flyer for more information.
- 40 Cans For Lent: Our annual activity, led by Russ Bryant, starts on Ash Wednesday. Our goal is to raise 10,000 pounds of required food and other items for the SVDP Boulevard Place Food Pantry. See the Sunday parish bulletin for more information on items in particular need. Thank you Russ for taking on this important drive to serve the poor of our community!
- 40 Days for Life: The 40-Days for Life Spring Campaign starts Ash Wednesday, Feb. 22 and runs through Palm Sunday, April 2. As Knights, let us use our most powerful weapon, the rosary, to stand and pray for a return to the realization that life has never been a choice. Life is God’s gift to humanity, and it needs to be defended. Traditionally, our council has covered the 5 – 6 p.m. hour on Fridays outside the Planned Parenthood facility at 8590 Georgetown Rd (but you can sign up for any hour between 7am and 6pm). As you are aware, even though Indiana SB1 recently passed in the Statehouse and banned most all abortions in our State, the courts have temporarily blocked this ban and abortions continue in our state. Knights all over the country are joining in this national campaign. Let us volunteer in numbers to stand and pray for the protection of life.
- Overnight Prayer Vigil: As part of the 40 Days For Life initiative, the central Indiana Knights of Columbus is sponsoring an overnight prayer vigil on Friday, March 24th to Saturday, March 25th in front of Planned Parenthood at 8590 North Georgetown. Our St. Luke Council 14895 is committed to praying in the 8:00-9:00pm slot on Friday evening, March 24th. We need at least a half dozen of our members to commit to this time slot. Family members are welcome to join us! Please email me ([email protected]) or Tom Feick ([email protected]) if you can commit to this important period of prayer on the 24th.
- Monthly General Business Meeting: Thursday, March 2nd. The meeting starts with fellowship at 6:30pm followed by the meeting promptly at 7:00pm in the Blessed Fr. Michael J. McGivney room.
- Dedication of the Blessed Fr. Michael J. McGivney Room has been rescheduled for Sunday, April 23rd at the 11:30am mass. We will present a Check to Msgr. Schaedel, Fr. Jayaraju and key Parish Leaders as gratitude for this great gift of a “home” for our Council. Put it on your Calendar now!
- Corporate Communion Mass was held Sunday, February 19th at the 11:30am mass. Attendance was wonderful! All available yellow sashes were used. Thank you to our Council Chaplain, Fr. Jayaraju for presiding and for bringing attention to our Knights of Columbus Council. KNIGHTS IN ACTION!
- Our February General Business Meeting held February 2nd was a huge success! Many thanks to the Fish Fry team for the delicious meal of baked fish, Macaroni/Cheese, Green Beans, and Rice. The turnout was wonderful, including some special guests, and the fellowship was fun! KNIGHTS IN ACTION!
Your Council Officers have been busy making those important decisions that you entrusted us with. At the February Officers meeting, we embarked on the following actions:
- Our Knight of the Year for the 2022 calendar year was unanimously selected to be Frank Loughery. The characteristics of the Knight worthy of this recognition include charitable, devoted, in service to others, and selfless. Frank exemplified these traits by saying “Yes” to being our interim Parish Manager even though he had recently retired and fought back from his own personal health challenge. Frank’s tenure as PM will come to an end this April and we are all thankful for his hard work and dedication to making our Parish shine. Congratulations Frank and Thank You!
- Our Knight Family of the Year for the 2022 calendar year was unanimously selected to be the Andy and Kari Bauer Family. The Knight’s Family worthy of this recognition models Christian family values and visibly lives them every day with our Council, in the parish, at home, at mass, and in public. The Bauer Family has checked all of these boxes via their selfless giving of time, talent, and treasure. Congratulations Andy, Kari, Anna, AJ, Katie, Mary, & Lucy, and Thank You!
- Seminarian Support: Every calendar year, our Council supports at least one seminarian during their formation. The Seminarian has been selected based on a) from our Archdiocese, b) recommended by one or more Knights, c) in need of funds, and d) has connections of some kind to our parish/council. Our Seminarian for 2023 is Anthony Armbruster. You may remember Anthony from this past summer when he and another Seminarian stayed at the rectory with Msgr. Schaedel and Fr. Jayaraju. Anthony has an immediate need for funds so that he can participate in a pilgrimage overseas as part of his formation. Although our Council will be making a donation to this need (as allowed by the approved budget), he will need much than we can provide. Therefore, if any of your wish to support Anthony, please give online at https://knights-of-columbus-14895.square.site/product/seminarian-support/4?cs=true&cst=custom.
- The Room Campaign to raise funds toward the new meeting space named after Blessed Father Michael J. McGivney has reached the final phase. We have enough for the initial donation to the parish but must raise the final amount toward our goal of $20,000 so we can make the needed appointments to the room. Please consider donating to this cause which will finally give a permanent home to our Council and raise awareness of Blessed Father McGivney and the works of our Knights of Columbus Council.
- State Convention: The annual Indiana State Knights of Columbus will host the 2023 convention in downtown Indianapolis the weekend of May 5-7. More information will be sent out later, but if you are interested in attending and being a Council Delegate to the convention, please let me know as soon as possible.
Finally, the Catholic Business Exchange is coordinating an Indianapolis Indians ballgame night at Victory Field. The game selected is Thursday night, June 22nd versus the Columbus Clippers. Game time is 7:05pm and it's Thirsty Thursday, meaning... you can quench your thirst with $2 Pepsi fountain drinks, $3 domestic drafts, and $5 premium and craft drafts!
The group rate for a block of reserved seat tickets down the left field line in Section 103 are only $10 (plus service fee) each. If enough people are interested, our Council can participate as a group. If you are a baseball fan, would you be willing to coordinate our group and work directly with Jim Liston at CBE on this opportunity? If so, let me know as soon as possible!
Bob Calliotte, Grand Knight
St. Luke Council 14895